In the ever-evolving landscape of nursery furniture, finding the perfect crib can be a daunting task. That’s why I am here to make your journey easier, with my comprehensive guide to “2023’s Top-Rated Baby Cribs: Safety, Comfort, and Style.”
In this blog, I will dive deep into the world of baby cribs, showcasing the latest and greatest models of 2023. Whether you’re looking for cutting-edge safety features, unparalleled comfort, or stylish designs that complement your nursery decoration, I have got you covered. No more endless online searches or overwhelming choices – I have done the research for you, so you can confidently choose the perfect crib for your precious bundle of joy as it forms an essential component of Baby Products.
Click for Review
Babyletto Lolly 3-in-1 Convertible Baby Crib
Delta Children Essex 4-in-1 Convertible Baby Crib
Graco Hadley 5-in-1 Convertible Baby Crib
Dream On Me Edgewood 4-In-1 Convertible Baby Crib
BabyBjörn Travel Baby Crib
Table of Contents
BEST BABY CRIBS – Exploring the Latest Trends
Let’s take a quick look at some of the trending types of baby cribs that are making waves in nurseries around the world:
1. Convertible Cribs: These versatile cribs are a parent’s dream. They can be transformed from a standard crib into a toddler bed, daybed, or even a full-sized bed as your child grows. Talk about value for money!
2. Mini Cribs: Short on space? Mini cribs are your solution. They’re compact and ideal for small nurseries or co-sleeping situations.
3. Portable Cribs: Perfect for families on the move, portable cribs are lightweight and easy to fold up for travel or storage. They ensure your baby has a familiar sleeping space wherever you go.
4. Round Cribs: Want to add a touch of elegance to your nursery? Round cribs are not only stylish but also give your baby a 360-degree view of their surroundings.
5. Eco-Friendly Cribs: As sustainability becomes a top priority, eco-friendly cribs made from sustainable materials and non-toxic finishes are gaining popularity among environmentally conscious parents.
6. Bassinet Cribs: These cribs combine the coziness of a bassinet with the functionality of a crib. They’re perfect for keeping your newborn close during those early months.
7. Canopy Cribs: Fit for a little prince or princess, canopy cribs add a touch of whimsy and sophistication to your nursery decoration.
8. Rocking Cribs: For babies who love a gentle sway to lull them to sleep, rocking cribs offer a soothing solution.
9. Vintage-Inspired Cribs: Nostalgia meets modern safety standards in these cribs that feature classic designs with a contemporary twist.
10. Customizable Cribs: Create a crib that’s uniquely yours by choosing different finishes, colors, and add-ons to match your nursery’s theme and your personal style.
Exploring these crib trends can be an exciting part of preparing for your baby’s arrival. Each type has its own charm, and the best one for you depends on your lifestyle, space, and design preferences.
Baby Cribs: Our Top Picks
1. Best Overall: Babyletto Lolly 3-in-1 Convertible Baby Crib
- Convertible and adjustable height;
- It also has Crib Mattress with Hybrid Quilted Waterproof Cover
- For toddlers up to 22 kgs;
- Comes with 4 adjustable mattress positions;
- Lead and phthalate safe for babies.
Quick Pros & Cons of Babyletto Baby Crib:
- Stylish Design: The Babyletto Lolly 3-in-1 Convertible Crib boasts a chic, modern design with its white and natural color scheme, making it a beautiful addition to any nursery. It effortlessly blends aesthetics with functionality.
- Convertible: This crib is a game-changer for parents. It grows with your child, transitioning from a crib to a toddler bed when the time is right. The included toddler bed conversion kit is a thoughtful addition, saving you money in the long run.
- Greenguard Gold Certified: Knowing that the Babyletto Lolly crib is Greenguard Gold Certified provides peace of mind. It means the crib has undergone rigorous testing for chemical emissions and meets strict standards for indoor air quality, ensuring a healthier environment for your baby.
- Pure Core Crib Mattress: The included crib mattress is a fantastic bonus. It features a waterproof cover, which is a lifesaver for inevitable baby messes. Plus, it’s designed with your baby’s safety and comfort in mind.
- Easy Assembly: Setting up the Babyletto Lolly crib is a breeze. It comes with clear instructions and all the necessary hardware, so you won’t have to stress over complicated assembly.
- Price: While the Babyletto Lolly crib offers many great features, it’s not the most budget-friendly option out there. Some parents may find it on the higher end of the price spectrum.
- Color Scheme Limitation: While the white and natural color scheme is undoubtedly stylish, it may not match every nursery decor. If you have a specific color scheme in mind, this crib might not be the best fit.
- Conversion Kit Storage: Storing the toddler bed conversion kit until it’s needed can be a bit of a hassle. It’s an additional component that you’ll need to find a place for until your baby is ready to transition to a toddler bed.
- Weight: The Babyletto Lolly crib is relatively heavy, which can make moving it around the nursery or your home a bit challenging.
- Mattress Size: Some parents have found that the mattress size is a bit non-standard, making it a bit tricky to find fitted sheets that fit perfectly.
Consider using a crib rail cover! As your little one grows and starts teething, they may discover the joys of nibbling on the crib rails. This can lead to wear and tear on the crib’s finish over time. To protect both the crib and your baby’s budding teeth, invest in a soft, fabric crib rail cover that easily wraps around the rails. It not only safeguards the crib but also adds a touch of personalization to your nursery decoration with various design options available.
This simple addition can extend the life of your Babyletto Lolly crib and keep it looking as stylish as the day you first assembled it. Plus, it’s an extra layer of safety for your curious little explorer.
Baby Blankets is necessary component for your baby sleep comfort. Choose it keeping the baby crib in mind.
2. Best Safe: Delta Children Essex 4-in-1 Convertible Baby Crib
- Recommended max. height of toddler is 34 inches and weight is 22kgs;
- Crib converts to a toddler bed, daybed and sofa;
- Adjustable height with 3 positions;
- Safe for the baby as certified by JPMA and ASTM.
Quick Pros, Cons and Community Reviews of Delta Baby Crib:
- Stylish Design: The Delta Children Essex 4-in-1 Convertible Baby Crib in Bianca White with Natural Legs is a visual delight. Its sleek, modern design with natural legs and a crisp white finish makes it a centerpiece in any nursery.
- Convertible: One of the standout features is its versatility. This crib transitions seamlessly from a crib to a toddler bed, daybed, and full-size bed with a headboard and footboard. This means it can grow with your child, saving you money in the long run.
- Sturdy Construction: The crib is built with durability in mind, ensuring it can withstand the wear and tear of a growing child. The natural wood legs provide stability and support.
- Adjustable Mattress Height: The mattress can be set at multiple height levels, allowing you to lower it as your baby grows and becomes more mobile. This added safety feature prevents your little one from climbing out of the crib.
- Safety Certified: It’s always reassuring to know that the Delta Children Essex crib meets or exceeds all safety standards. It’s JPMA certified and tested for lead and other harmful elements, giving you peace of mind.
- Assembly Required: As with most cribs, assembly is required. While the instructions are generally clear, some parents might find it a bit time-consuming and challenging to put together, especially if they are not experienced with assembling furniture.
- Price: While this crib offers great value for its quality and versatility, it may not fit every budget. It’s important to consider your financial constraints when making your purchase decision.
- Weight: Some parents have found that the crib is quite heavy. This can be a drawback if you plan on moving it around the room frequently.
- Limited Color Options: The crib is available primarily in the Bianca White with Natural Legs finish, which, although stylish, may not match every nursery decor or color scheme.
- Conversion Kit: To convert this crib into a full-size bed, you’ll need to purchase a separate conversion kit. While this isn’t unusual, it’s an additional cost to factor in if you plan on using the crib as a full-size bed in the future.
- It’s super sturdy and even with a chewing hamster toddler the paint isn’t coming off or wood like most would. I would recommend. Especially if you’re going for a boho look.
- I like the crib but it’s not a 4-1. No toddler rail included like advertised.
Invest in high-quality crib sheets and mattress protectors! Your little one will be spending a lot of time in the crib, and accidents happen. Opt for fitted crib sheets that are soft, breathable, and easy to wash. Look for mattress protectors that are waterproof and hypoallergenic to keep your baby’s sleep environment clean and cozy.
Having a few extra crib sheets on hand can be a lifesaver during those late-night diaper changes or unexpected spills. Plus, with the Delta Children Essex crib’s adjustable mattress height feature, changing the sheets becomes a breeze when you can lower the mattress to a comfortable level.
3. Best Budget: Graco Hadley 5-in-1 Convertible Baby Crib
- Recommended max. height of toddler is 50 inches and weight is 22kgs;
- 5-in-1 Convertible Crib with Full size storage drawer;
- Mattress support base with 3 different height options;
- JPMA Certified, safety tested for babies.
Quick Pros, Cons and Community Reviews of Graco Hadely Baby Crib:
- Versatile 5-in-1 Design: The Graco Hadley Convertible Crib is a true multitasker. It transitions effortlessly from a baby crib to a toddler bed, daybed, and even a full-size bed with or without a footboard. This means it can adapt to your child’s changing needs, saving you money in the long run.
- Full-Size Nursery Storage Drawer: One of the standout features is the built-in storage drawer. It provides ample space to keep your baby’s essentials close at hand, making late-night diaper changes and feedings more convenient than ever.
- Sturdy and Durable: The crib is constructed with high-quality materials to ensure it withstands the test of time. It’s built to last through your child’s early years and beyond.
- Convertible Without Extra Purchases: Unlike some convertible cribs, the Graco Hadley includes the necessary conversion kits for both the toddler and full-size bed configurations, saving you the hassle and expense of buying additional components.
- Stylish Finish: Available in black, the crib’s sleek and modern design adds a touch of elegance to any nursery. It effortlessly complements various decor styles.
- Assembly Required: As with most cribs, assembly is necessary. While the instructions are generally clear, some parents may find it time-consuming and may require an extra pair of hands to put together.
- Weight and Size: The crib is relatively heavy, which can make moving it around the room a bit challenging. Additionally, its size may not be suitable for smaller nurseries.
- Limited Color Options: While black is stylish and versatile, it might not match every nursery decor or color scheme. If you have a specific design vision in mind, you may need to work around the crib’s color.
- Price: While the Graco Hadley offers excellent value considering its features and durability, it might not fit every budget. It’s essential to factor in your financial constraints when making your decision.
- Drawer Functionality: While the built-in storage drawer is a convenient addition, some parents have found it a bit shallow and may not hold larger items effectively.
- The Graco Benton 5-in-1 Convertible Crib is a versatile and well-made crib that is perfect for growing families. It can be converted from a baby crib to a toddler bed, daybed, and full-size bed, so you can use it for years to come.
- The drawer does not close all of the way up. The parts were not all square & did not all line up correctly. I had to have my husband force pieces together & screws into holes.
Invest in a comfortable and breathable crib mattress! Your baby will spend a significant amount of time in the crib, and their sleep quality is of utmost importance. Look for a high-quality crib mattress that provides the right level of support and is made with safe, non-toxic materials.
Consider a mattress with a waterproof cover to protect against accidents. This will keep the mattress clean and odor-free, extending its lifespan. Additionally, opt for fitted crib sheets that are soft, easy to clean, and fit snugly on the mattress.
4. Best for Small Spaces: Dream On Me Edgewood 4-In-1 Convertible Baby Crib:
- Recommended max. height of toddler is 37 inches and weight is 22kgs;
- Convenient three height mattress settings;
- Comes with 1 inch mattress pad;
- Compact footprints ideal for small space;
- 4-in-1 Mini Convertible Mini Crib.
Quick Pros, Cons and Community Reviews of Dream On Me Baby Crib:
- Space-Saving Design: The Dream On Me Edgewood 4-In-1 Convertible Mini Crib is perfect for smaller nurseries or as an additional crib for grandparents’ homes. Its compact size ensures you can create a cozy sleeping space for your baby without taking up too much room.
- Convertible: This crib grows with your child, transitioning from a crib to a toddler bed, daybed, and even a twin-size bed with the purchase of additional conversion kits. It’s a versatile choice that can adapt to your child’s changing needs.
- JPMA Certified: Knowing that the crib is JPMA (Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association) certified provides peace of mind. It means the crib has undergone rigorous safety testing and meets industry standards for child products.
- Non-Toxic Finish: The non-toxic finish is a fantastic feature, ensuring that the crib is safe for your baby. You can rest assured that your little one is sleeping in a crib that doesn’t emit harmful chemicals.
- 3 Mattress Height Settings: The adjustable mattress height is a practical feature that allows you to lower the mattress as your baby grows and becomes more mobile. It provides added safety by preventing your little one from climbing out of the crib.
- Included 1″ Mattress Pad: The fact that the crib comes with a 1″ mattress pad is a nice bonus. It saves you the hassle of searching for a compatible mattress separately.
- Limited Size: While the compact size is a plus for small spaces, it also means your child will outgrow the crib sooner than a standard-sized crib. You may need to purchase a larger bed relatively quickly as your child grows.
- Conversion Kit Purchase: To transform the crib into a toddler bed, daybed, or twin-size bed, you’ll need to buy additional conversion kits separately. This adds to the overall cost of the crib.
- Minimal Color Options: The crib is primarily available in white, which may not suit every nursery decor or color scheme. If you have specific design preferences, you may need to work around the crib’s color.
- Slight Assembly Required: As with most cribs, some assembly is necessary. While the instructions are generally clear, it may take a bit of time and effort to put together.
- A great transition from the bassinet for our grand child. Takes up little space for grandparents home. Study and comfortable. Splurge on a thicker mattress for comfort.
- Instructions are not at clear as they could be. If you’re not paying super close attention, you will put pieces on facing the wrong side. Missing hardware.
Invest in space-saving storage solutions! Given the crib’s compact design, every inch of your nursery counts. Look for wall-mounted shelves, under-crib storage bins, or a stylish dresser that can double as a changing table. These additions can help you make the most of your available space, keeping your baby’s essentials organized and easily accessible.
Consider wall decals or artwork to add a touch of personality to your nursery’s decoration, as the crib’s white finish provides a versatile backdrop for creative nursery styling.
5. Best Portable: BabyBjörn Travel Baby Crib
- Made with polyester and recommended for babies of max. 23.5 inches height and 5kgs weight;
- Waterproof, breathable mattress cover is machine washable;
- Easy to set up and travel portability and weighs only 4.9kgs;
- Fabrics are free from harmful and allergenic substances;
- Sturdy and safe design.
Quick Pros, Cons and Community Reviews of BabyBjorn Baby Crib:
- Portability: The BabyBjörn Travel Crib Light lives up to its name – it’s incredibly lightweight and easy to carry. Whether you’re heading to grandma’s house or taking a family vacation, this crib is a breeze to transport.
- Quick Setup: Setting up the crib takes just a few seconds. No complicated assembly required. You can spend more time enjoying your trip and less time wrestling with a crib.
- Compact Design: When folded, it’s remarkably compact. It fits into a convenient travel bag, making it easy to stow away in your car or check as luggage during air travel. Say goodbye to bulky, heavy travel cribs.
- Sturdy and Safe: Despite its portability, the crib is stable and secure. It meets rigorous safety standards, ensuring your baby sleeps soundly, whether at home or away.
- Easy to Clean: Accidents happen, especially when you’re on the move. The crib’s removable and machine-washable mattress cover makes cleanup a breeze.
- Price: The convenience of the BabyBjörn Travel Crib Light does come at a cost. It’s priced higher than some other travel cribs on the market. However, many parents find the investment worthwhile for the ease of use and quality.
- Size Limitation: While it’s ideal for infants and younger toddlers, the crib may become less suitable as your child grows. Some parents have found that their toddlers outgrow it sooner than expected.
- Limited Color Options: The crib is available primarily in silver, which may not match every nursery decor or personal style preference.
- Accessories Sold Separately: Some accessories, like fitted sheets and a waterproof mattress cover, are sold separately. This adds to the overall cost if you decide to purchase these extras.
- Mattress Firmness: The crib’s mattress is relatively firm, which may not suit every baby’s sleep preferences. Some parents prefer a softer sleeping surface.
- Believe the hype because it’s real. I took this on a trip with my toddler and infant and it was so easy to assemble! I am petite so I try to find lightweight baby gear and this is one of them!
- Easy to put together and quality made but disappointed that there’s no crib sheet.
Invest in a cozy, familiar blanket or crib sheet! While the crib’s mattress is comfortable, having a piece of home with you can provide comfort and reassurance to your baby in an unfamiliar setting. Choose a blanket or crib sheet that your baby has used at home, so it carries the comforting scent of familiarity.
Spread this beloved item over the crib mattress before laying your baby down. The familiar scent and touch can help soothe your baby to sleep, making your travel nights more restful for both of you.
What to look for in a Baby Crib (Buying Guide)
Choosing the perfect crib for your little one is an important decision, and I am here to help you make an informed choice that suits your needs, style, and budget.
1. Safety First:
- Certifications: Look for cribs that meet safety standards such as JPMA (Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association) certification and ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) standards.
- Spacing: Ensure the crib slats are no more than 2⅜ inches apart to prevent your baby from getting stuck.
- Non-Toxic Finishes: Opt for cribs with non-toxic finishes to ensure a safe sleeping environment.
2. Crib Types:
- Standard Cribs: These are traditional cribs that provide a sturdy and safe sleeping space for your baby.
- Convertible Cribs: Convertible cribs can transform into toddler beds, daybeds, or even full-sized beds, offering long-term value.
- Mini Cribs: Mini cribs are perfect for small spaces and travel, providing a cozy sleeping area without taking up too much room.
3. Mattress Matters:
- Firmness: Choose a crib mattress that’s firm to reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
- Fit: Ensure the mattress fits snugly in the crib with no more than two fingers of space between the mattress and crib frame.
- Waterproof Cover: A waterproof mattress cover can be a lifesaver for inevitable spills and accidents.
4. Adjustable Mattress Height:
- Many cribs offer adjustable mattress heights to accommodate your growing baby. Start with the highest setting for newborns and lower it as your baby becomes more mobile.
5. Style and Design:
- Consider the aesthetics that match your nursery decor. Cribs come in various styles, from traditional to modern, and a range of finishes to complement your nursery’s theme.
- If you’re frequently on the move, look for cribs that are lightweight and easy to assemble and disassemble for travel.
7. Budget Considerations:
- Set a budget range for your crib purchase. Remember that convertible cribs may have a higher initial cost but can save you money in the long run.
8. Additional Features:
- Some cribs come with built-in storage, adjustable side rails, or teething rail covers. Decide which features are essential for your convenience.
9. Read Reviews:
- Don’t forget to read customer reviews and check for any recalls or safety concerns related to the crib you’re considering.
10. Assembly and Maintenance:
- Ensure that the crib you choose comes with clear assembly instructions. Also, check if the crib is easy to clean and maintain.
1. When to move baby to the crib?
Around 3-6 months is a common timeframe when many parents choose to move their baby to a crib. This often coincides with your baby becoming more active and rolling over. As they grow and develop, they may start to outgrow their bassinet or co-sleeper, making the crib a more comfortable option.
Another key factor is your baby’s weight and mobility. When your baby can roll over or push up on their hands and knees, it’s time to consider a crib. At this stage, they can potentially move around and may be safer in a crib with sturdy rails.
Pay attention to your baby’s sleep patterns. If they are consistently sleeping for longer stretches at night, they might be ready for a crib. Cribs offer a more spacious and secure sleeping environment, which can contribute to better sleep for both baby and parents.
When you do decide to make the switch, ensure that the crib is set up safely with a firm mattress, fitted crib sheets, and no loose bedding or toys. This creates a secure sleep environment for your baby.
2. What can I use instead of Baby Crib?
If you’re looking for alternatives to a crib, consider these options:
Bassinet or Co-Sleeper: Ideal for newborns and infants, these provide a smaller sleeping space.
Pack ‘n Play or Playard: Versatile for sleep and play, they often have bassinet attachments.
Mini Crib: A space-saving, smaller version of a standard crib.
Montessori Floor Bed: Low-to-the-ground beds for promoting independence.
Rock ‘n Play Sleeper (with Caution): Suitable for supervised naps or lounging.
Cradle or Swing: Offer gentle rocking for soothing.
Travel Cribs: Portable and convenient for on-the-go and at-home use.
DIY Baby Box: Used in some cultures, providing a cozy sleep space.
Shared Bed with Safety Precautions: Co-sleeping with safe practices, such as using a co-sleeper or bassinet attachment.
Prioritize safety and follow guidelines for your chosen sleep alternative.
3. What is a safe and good baby crib?
First, check for JPMA certification. This tells you the crib has passed strict safety tests. Sturdy construction is key. You want solid wood or metal frames that can handle wear and tear.
Proper spacing is vital. The bars or slats should be no more than 2⅜ inches apart. This prevents tiny heads from getting stuck. Also, make sure the crib has a non-toxic finish. Babies love to explore with their mouths, so this keeps them safe.
Adjustable mattress height is a helpful feature. It means you can lower the mattress as your baby grows and becomes more mobile.
Look for secure hardware. Ensure all the screws and bolts are properly installed and stay tight.
Safety also means no drop-side cribs. These are now banned due to concerns. Stick to cribs with fixed sides.
Check for smooth corners and edges to prevent any bumps or scrapes. And, use a firm crib mattress that fits snugly with no more than two fingers of space.
Keep the crib minimalist. Remove loose bedding, pillows, stuffed animals, and bumper pads. These can pose suffocation hazards.
Follow the manufacturer’s assembly instructions closely. A well-put-together crib is crucial for safety.
Lastly, inspect the crib regularly for loose parts, broken slats, or any damage. And as your baby grows and becomes more active, think about transitioning to a toddler bed.
By choosing a crib that meets these safety guidelines, you can create a secure and comfortable sleeping space for your precious one. Always prioritize safety when selecting a crib.